How to Spot Water Issues in the Winter
Tips for Realtors
As winter approaches, real estate professionals play an integral role in safeguarding their properties from the potential damage caused by water. With temperatures dropping and snowfall a possibility, the risk of frozen pipes, ice dams, and other water-related issues rises significantly.
Common water issues that typically appear in the winter can include:
- Ice dams
- Frozen pipes
- Mold and mildew problems
- Water pooling in the crawl space
- Standing water near the foundation
- Wet basement walls
At United Structural Systems, we understand the challenges of winter water issues and the further problems that they can cause. We are committed to providing real estate professionals with the expertise and resources they need to help clients protect their properties from water damage. In this blog, we will review some common signs of these wintertime moisture issues and how you can Identify and make plans to repair them.
WARNING SIGNS YOU HAVE A WATER OR MOISTURE PROBLEM
Several signs can indicate that there is a water problem with a home. However, some are common occurrences and don’t always mean you have a significant moisture problem. If any of the following symptoms are a recurring or chronic problem, or if you see multiple signs, it is a good indication that the building should be inspected.
Some signs that a building may have a moisture or water problem include:
- Dampness throughout the property
- Musty odors, indicating mold or mildew
- Water stains on walls and/or ceilings
- Warped floorboards or signs of water damage on flooring
- Excess moisture on basements walls
- Bowing basement walls due to hydrostatic pressure from saturated soil
- Pooling water on crawl space floors
- Wet insulation
- Standing water near foundation walls
- Visible ice dams on the property’s roof
- Burst pipes or water pressure issues, indicating frozen pipes
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO RESOLVE WATER ISSUES
Water problems in homes on the market can be addressed through a combination of preventive measures and corrective actions. Preventive measures focus on eliminating the sources of water intrusion and controlling moisture levels, while corrective actions also aim to repair existing damage and restore the integrity of the building.
To address water issues in a property, we recommend suggesting the following tactics to your clients:
- Check for damp spots on the walls, floors, and ceilings, especially in the basement.
- Insulate exposed pipes in the basement or crawl space.
- Maintain the roof drainage system, including gutters and downspouts.
- Regularly check for standing water near the foundation.
- Ensure water drains away from the foundation effectively, especially after snow thaws.
- Monitor humidity levels and check for condensation inside the property.
- Ventilate basements and attics appropriately.
- Seal any cracks in the basement or crawl space.
- Seal cracks and gaps in your foundation and around doors and windows.
- Hire a professional waterproofing company to mitigate water intrusion.
Basement water issues can turn into more than just a water problem. If moisture is not diverted from the home in a timely manner, pressure from the saturated, wet soil can build up and cause basement walls to bow and concrete block to crack. A water problem beneath the home can cause more than mildew and wood rot; it can lead to foundation damage.
If you’re struggling with water issues in your basement, we encourage you to talk to our team about our basement waterproofing options. Basement waterproofing involves installing a drain system that re-routes water away from the property and helps prevent water damage. The methods of accomplishing basement waterproofing depend on both the building’s structure and your client’s plans for the basement.
Review our website to learn more about basement waterproofing, basement wall repair, crawl space waterproofing, and crawl space encapsulation.
UNITED STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS IS HERE TO HELP
Don't let winter water issues compromise the integrity and value of your properties on the market. Contact United Structural Systems today for a free consultation and let us help you keep your properties winter-ready. Together, we can work to keep your properties more comfortable and well-protected throughout the winter season.
We provide a wide range of services, including:
- Basement waterproofing
- Crawl space encapsulation
- Foundation inspection and repair
- Structural repair
To schedule an appointment with our team, message us online.